Sunday, March 23, 2014


I tucked my mother into bed tonight. She will be 90 years old on April 2. She is in reasonably good health for her age, although it is difficult for her to get out of her chair and walk very far. The last couple days she has been suffering from a bout with the flu. Some of my sisters and I took turns spending time with her today, just in case she needed some assistance. My turn was the last one for the day.

Mom - 2005
As the mother of ten children, I am very familiar with the tucking in bed process, but somehow it is different when it is your mother whom you are tucking in. Instead of masses of hair, smooth skin and chubby cheeks, it is wisps of white hair, skin that has been weathered by the years and paper-thin cheeks. Instead of one whose future stretches ahead of them full of adventure and the unknown, it is one whose past follows behind – a life well lived filled with memories. Yet, this tucking in is familiar because the one whose head lies on the pillow is as dear to me as any of my children, and my heart is filled with the same tenderness at the sight. As I turn to go home, I am struck with the realization that I am leaving the country for two years, and it is entirely possible that when I do I might not see my mother again in this life.
 
I do not doubt God’s calling for me to go to the Dominican Republic for two years. I am also certain this is His timing for me to go. He has confirmed this to me over and over again in so many ways. I do wonder, though, as some have asked, “How do you leave behind ten children and their spouses who are like children to you, fourteen grandchildren (fifteen in August), sisters, nieces, nephews, friends and...an elderly mother?”  

I wish I had an answer, but I don’t. I do not know how I will do this. What I do know is this – The one who has called me is faithful, and He will do it. (I Thess 5:24) I will trust Him, the God of Peace, with my children and grandchildren, my extended family and my friends and, yes, my mother. I know He will watch over them until I return.
 
The Green family at Anita & Colin's wedding - 9/21/2013
 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing. You will go in peace and in the grace and mercy of God.

    ReplyDelete